Peugeot talks about the launch of the i-Cockpit, the flop risk it has become the characteristic element animating the French models
I’Peugeot i-Cockpit has become an identifying element of the Marque’s models that stand out from the cousins of the Stellantis planetarium. The innovation launched for the first time on production cars with the 208 has changed the approach to driving over the years.
I-COCKPIT PEUGEOT: BET FEARS AND TRACK TESTS
over 10 years ago Peugeot unveils the i-Cockpit with the first generation of Peugeot 208 with the clear intention of introducing changes in the driving position. Since then, the automaker says they have been product Almost 10 million units and the i-Cockpit has been extended to the entire French range. “The stakes were high for the brand, we were taking a calculated risk by committing to such an innovative and new concept. More importantly, we had to make sure our customers loved it.”he stated Jerome MicheronPeugeot Product Director. “We have organised track test with French and German customers and first we had them drive a car with a normal steering wheel and dashboard, and then we got them into the prototype with this new steering wheel and raised dashboard. The feedback has been excellent. We were absolutely convinced that we had something unique”.
I-COCKPIT PEUGEOT FROM THE 208 CHANGES THE CONCEPT OF DRIVING
There first generation i-Cockpit he is coming standard on the Peugeot 208, while other competitors offered the digital instrument panel only as an option on higher price ranges. Innovation emerged by transforming the driver experience through:
- compact steering wheel, the driver moves his arms less for the same manoeuvre. Which was unthinkable when the cars did not yet have power steering that later became electric;
- there equipment in front of the eyes with the steering wheel lowered, it helps position the driver’s arms at more comfortable angles;
- THE raised display helps keep eyes focused on the road and dashboard information is more easily seen.
THE EVOLUTION OF THE PEUGEOT I-COCKPIT
- In the 2016the second generation of Peugeot 3008 and Peugeot 5008 were equipped with a version of the i-Cockpit with digital display of 12.3 inches fully customizable. The physical buttons remain and are positioned below the central touchscreen for easy access to essential functions without getting distracted.
- In the 2019 there Peugeot 208 second generation introduced a digital cluster 3D.
- Peugeot i-Cockpit goes even further on new features 308 (In the 2021) And 408 (In the 2022) with the introduction of the new system of i-Connect Infotainment. The new compact steering wheel is able to detect the presence of the driver’s hands when the driver assistance systems and other touch-sensitive functions are active, solely at the user’s discretion, Peugeot explains.
“The i-Cockpit must always remain intuitive, dynamic and iconic: this is one of our objectives”did he declare, Bertrand RapatelPeugeot interior design director.
Source : Sicur Auto