Find all the figures on Amazon, updated regularly.
Amazon is today one of the most famous e-commerce sites in the world. If in its beginnings the site was devoted solely to the sale of books online, today it is a multitude of products that can be found, from toys to computer objects through food products. In 2020, the American company is the world’s largest employer in the tech sector, with more than one million employees.
Amazon Financial Results
Amazon has released its financial results for the 4th quarter of 2020. Find out about the US company’s revenue, net income and operating cash flow.
- Quarterly sales (Q4 2020): $ 125.6 billion, up 44% from last year ($ 87.4 billion in Q4 2019).
- Net profit (Q4 2020): $ 7.222 billion, up 121% from last year ($ 3.268 billion in Q4 2019)
- Operating cash flow increased 72% in the past 12 monthsfrom $ 38.5 billion to $ 66.1 billion.
Other statistics from Amazon
- The company employs more than 1 million people worldwide. Amazon hired more than 400,000 people in the year 2020.
- AWS, le service cloud d’Amazon, saw its revenue increase by 28% in the fourth quarter of 2020, from $ 9.9 billion in the fourth quarter of 2019 to $ 12.7 billion in 2020.
- In the US, the minimum wage for an Amazon employee is $ 15 per hour, whether full-time, part-time, acting or seasonal.
- More than 10,000 French VSEs and SMEs develop their activity on Amazon.
Amazon in France
Number of unique visitors
The share of unique visitors to the Amazon site according to Médiamétrie (September 2020):
- Classification of Groups most visited in France: Amazon ranks 7th, with 34 million visits, or 6.6 million average unique visitors per day.
- Trademark classification most visited in France: Amazon ranks 4th (behind Google, Facebook and YouTube), with 33 million visits, or 6.4 million average unique visitors per day.
FEVAD offers a ranking of sites specializing in e-commerce in France. In Q2 2020, Amazon is located at:
- 1st place in the ranking according to the rate of Internet users who declared having bought all categories of products, with a rate of 53.7% (ahead of Fnac and Cdiscount).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “fashion” category, with a rate of 37.2% (ahead of Veepee and Vinted).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “cultural product” category, with a rate of 59.8% (ahead of Fnac and Cultura).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “electronic and household appliance” category, with a rate of 66.5% (ahead of Cdiscount and Fnac).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “health beauty” category with a rate of 25.1% (ahead of Yves Rocher by very little as well as Sephora).
- 3rd in the ranking in the “food and consumer products (PGC)” category, with a rate of 14.3% (behind Leclerc and Carrefour).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “furniture and decoration” category, with a rate of 36.1% (ahead of Ikea and Cdiscount).
- 1st place in the ranking in the “games and toys” category, with a rate of 51.9% (ahead of Cdiscount and Oxybul).
Sources: FEVAD / Médiamétrie
Financial statistics in France
The main financial statistics for Amazon in France (2019):
- Amazon turnover in France: 7.73 billion euros, or 333 million items.
- Amazon’s growth in France was 17.3%.
- 1st place in the ranking of sites where the French spend the most money, with 22.2% market share (up +2.2 points).
- 22.2 million French people placed at least one order on Amazon in 2019, or nearly one in three French people.
- The order rate is estimated at 9.8 per year (+ 11.4%).
- To go to Amazon, the French use: the computer at 50.7%; mobile at 68.8%; the tablet at 17.5%.
- Out of 100 euros spent, 52% are spent on products from the Amazon market place.
Sources: Médiamétrie / Kantar
Amazon’s key dates
- July 1994: date of creation of the company.
- 1995: launch of Amazon.
- May 15, 1997: IPO.
- August 2000: arrival of the platform in France.
- 2007: Kindle, the Amazon e-reader, is marketed in the United States.