A report from the UK estimates how in-car options and devices affect the range of electric cars
I’range of electric cars it has increased by more than 150% in 10 years and is now much less concerned about the availability of charging stations. Hence the need to adopt an economical driving style and the useful habits to increase autonomy driving an electric car, they stay. An interesting elaboration carried out in the UK has published updated data on how many devices and options can affect the range of an electric car.
DRIVING AN ELECTRIC CAR WASTES UP TO 16 KM PER HOUR
The survey by Gridserve, which operates charging stations across the UK, responded to Frequently asked questions about the electric car range. As reported by the DailyMail, the central aspect of the report concerns the impact of the options on the actual range. The report states that driving style is the main factor impacting the range of an electric car, as is the use of regenerative braking. However, it also appears that the combination of the most used systems in everyday life can significantly reduce at more than 16 km/h the autonomy of an electric car. It is clear that the values communicated by the company refer to an average. But they can increase or decrease depending on the model, driving speed, ambient temperature and many other factors. Let’s take a closer look at the data in the report.
GRID SURVEY ON THE RANGE OF ELECTRIC CARS
Gridserve processing considers as electricity consumption, the average energy consumed travel a certain distance: 0.288 kWh per mile. According to the survey, the range can be improved by up to 20% by using the maximum intensity of regenerative braking. Just as higher speed can reduce range by up to 13%, which equates to approximately 10 km for every hour of driving at 112 km/h instead of 96 km/h. Click on the image below to see it full width.
HOW MANY KM OF AUTONOMY ABSORB ELECTRIC CAR OPTIONS
Here is how much the most used devices consume while driving and how many km absorbs in 1 hour of driving according to Gridserve estimates:
- Air conditionerrequires 3-4 kW to operate and may reduce range up to 12 km in 1 hour driving. It is also true that the latest electric cars use heat pump heating to be more efficient.
- Heating electric, absorbs up to approx. 9 km in 1 hour;
- infotainment systemabsorbs up to approx. 0.6 km every hour;
- Electric heated seatsabsorb up to approx. 0.5 km every hour;
- Audio systemabsorbs up to approx. 0.5 km every hour;
- Headlights and taillightsabsorb up to 0.3 km every hour;
- Heated windshield and steering wheelabsorb up to 0.15 km every hour;
- Heated mirrorsabsorb up to 0.15 km every hour;
- USB plug per refill, absorbs up to 0.15 km every hour.
Source : Sicur Auto