HomeElectric and Hybrid CarsPublic charging stations: 14,500 more points in one year Public charging stations:...

Related Posts

Featured Artist

Ezekiel Arevalo


Kaleb started this adventure 7 years ago, when there was no real voice protecting the environment. His masterpieces promote saving the Earth.

Public charging stations: 14,500 more points in one year Public charging stations: 14,500 more points in one year

Report updated to June 2023 on public charging stations in Italy: in just one year there are 14,500 more points, an increase of +47%

July 7, 2023 – 2:45 p.m.

Motus-E’s latest data on fleet electrification in Italy shows encouraging data although there is still much to do. In June 2023 the electric cars on the road have now reached the altitude 200,000, taking advantage of +31.93% registrations in the first half of this year. And the charging infrastructures are also developing: they currently exist 24,942 public stations with 45,210 charging stations+14,506 in just one year.


As of June 30, 2023, the 100% electric car fleet in circulation counts exactly 199,779 cars. They were recorded in the first 6 months of the current year 32,684 BEVfor a market share of 3.87%., distributed as follows :

  • 15,787 individuals (48.30%)
  • 8,461 long-term rentals (25.89%)
  • 4,139 resellers (12.66%)
  • 2,838 company fleets (8.68%)
  • 1,459 short-term rentals (4.46%).

There best selling electric cars in the first half of the year were Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, Fiat 500e, Smart ForTwo and MG 4. The highest number of registrations is concentrated in northern regions (21,389) with Lombardy in the lead thanks to 6,110 registered vehicles, probably also thanks to regional incentives. In southern Italy (excluding islands) only 2,393 registrations in 6 months.


Still according to Motus-E, as of June 30, 2023 they are installed in Italy 45,210 charging stations for public use positioned in 24,942 infrastructure (stations or columns), themselves divided into 16,557 locations. In June 2022, there were only 30,704, so there is an increase of ben 14,506 points public top-ups in just one year (+47.24%).

Regarding the power of installed charging points88% is powered by alternating current (AC) and the remaining 12% by direct current (DC).

Of the alternating current (AC) charging stations, a little less than 11% are slow recharges (with a power equal to or less than 7 kW), the remaining 77% are accelerated recharges (above 7 kW to 43 kW). Among the various power clusters, infrastructures with a power of between 7 and 22 kW inclusive total a little less than 75% of all charging infrastructures for public use present on Italian territory.

Between direct current (DC) charging stationsabout 3.4% are in fast DC (up to 50 kW inclusive), 2% have a power between 50 kW and 99 kW inclusive, just under 4% have a power between 99 kW and 150 kW inclusive and the remaining 3% have a power greater than 150 kW.


Even the charging infrastructure along the motorway arteries, rightly considered essential to facilitate travel long-haul on electric cars (one of the elements which, together with the catalog price, strongly limits the distribution of BEVs), are reported in excellent growthalthough with a large margin of improvement: on Italian highways are currently counted 657 charging stations for public usewith a growth of +80% (overall +422) compared to June 2022.

Of the total number of charging stations on the motorway, more 77% have a power greater than 43 kW and 58% exceed 150 kW. Motorway charging stations are spread over 121 service areas, out of a total of 476 (source: ART), therefore, one service area out of 4 already allows the charging of electric vehicles. In light of these figures and taking into account the 7,318 km of motorway network in Italy, there are currently 8.9 charging points per 100 km of motorway network, of which 6.8 are fast and ultra-fast.


We conclude by reporting the available data on the charging stations for private use: in Italy the charging points present in houses and condominiums have exceeded the quota 400,000, with 304,000 installations linked to construction subsidies (ENEA data). A significant number (+700% higher than that of 2021) which, as Motus-E reminds us, testifies to the growing openness of a large part of Italians to the trend towards the electrification of mobility. A further acceleration should take place as soon as the new incentives to install charging infrastructure for domestic use are available, already allocated and awaiting the necessary application decrees for months.

Source : Sicur Auto


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Posts